TMTW #182 – It is “OK” to File an Extension

Tax and Money Tip this Week:
It is “OK” to File an Extension
April 9th, 2014 | No. 182

Please take notice of our office closing date. Our office will be closing at 6:00pm on Friday, April 11th and will not reopen until Wednesday, April 16th, 2014.

If you haven’t filed your tax return by now, you should probably consider filing for an extension.

To file for an extension, you simply need to submit Form 4868.  Submitting this form will give you until October 15th of that year to file your returns. However, an extension of the time to file is not an extension of the time to pay.  If you think you will owe taxes, you must send a payment along with the extension.  This applies for your federal and state tax returns.

Here is a link to Form 4868:
Form 4868

Questions or Comments?
You can add comments on the blog, call 919-847-2981, or visit our web site. We look forward to hearing from you.

Mark Vitek, CPA/PFS, CFP®
…until next week.

This entry was posted in Tax and Money Tip of the Week and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s